To understand why Globalstar’s TLPS solution will never be commercially viable and its spectrum is highly unattractive to prospective buyers, investors need to have a thorough understanding of how Wi-Fi is deployed in the real world, as well as what drives spectrum valuations. Fortunately, there is substantial material on the internet to help investors better understand these topics. On this page, we attempt to provide a wide variety of resources to help investors bridge the information gap between the Company’s many misleading claims and actual reality.
Educational Materials on How Wi-Fi Works:
- YouTube Video on High-Density Wi-Fi Deployments by Aerohive Networks:
High-Density Wi-Fi Design, Part 1 (Aerohive Networks)
High-Density Wi-Fi Design, Part 2 (Aerohive Networks)
High-Density Wi-Fi Design, Part 3 (Aerohive Networks)
- Ruckus Wireless Webinar Series, which includes the We All Want Better Wi-Fi introductory webinars, as well as Wi-Fi deployment case studies at Le Pain Quotidien, Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing, public hotspot deployment solutions, etc.
- The Official Study Guide for the Certified Wireless Analysis Professional certification exam
- Aerohive Design & Configuration Guide for High-Density Wi-Fi, by Andrew von Nagy
- The Aruba Networks White Paper on Next Generation Wireless Architecture for Multimedia-Grade Residence Halls
- Revolution Wi-Fi, Andrew von Nagy’s blog
- WLAN Pros Summit 2014 videos: a great overview of the state of the Wi-Fi today.
- “Ultra-High Density WLAN Design & Deployment” from Aruba’s Chuck Lukaszewski is especially interesting and delves into topics like DFS channels and stadium designs. The slides are also available.
- A helpful tool for basic intuitions: Keith Parsons’ “Wi-Fi Analogies for Non-Techies“
- Aruba’s introductions to its outdoor 802.11ac APs are useful counterpoints to much of the mythology about how 5GHz is useless over long distances:
- At Wireless Field Day 6
- At the WLAN Pros Summit 2014
Resources Specific to Globalstar:
- Original petition by Globalstar to the FCC
The FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to allow Globalstar to deploy a low power broadband network, November 1, 2013
Globalstar’s comments from May 5, 2014
Comments of Cisco Systems, May 5, 2014
- January 2013 TLPS webinar:
- Audio recording (MP4 format)
- Combined recording on Vimeo
- Public-interest attorney and spectrum expert Harold Feld’s take on Globalstar
Resources on LTE Challenges
- Qualcomm’s March 2013 reply comments in the 600MHz incentive-auction proceeding, detailing many of the problems with licensed and unlicensed mobile data systems coexisting in neighboring bands.
- Overview of RF filtering technology from the International Wireless Industry Consortium Mobile RF Filter Group
- Note bands described on p. 21 as “very hard” or “impossible” to deal with, including 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.